Sea Salt Caramel Chocolate Pretzel Bark

When I came across this recipe on “live love pasta” I was very excited to see a chocolate bark that replaced nuts with pretzels. I have never been a huge fan of nuts in desserts so I liked the idea of using pretzels to give that added crunch! It also allows those with nut allergies to join in on the fun. The great part about this recipe is that it is easily adaptable – it’s basic (but still EXTREMELY delicious) so feel free to add what your taste buds are craving. If you do love nuts you could always add some chopped almonds on the top or you could get really creative and use some finely chopped pieces of candy cane which of course is perfect for the holiday season! My family gave this recipe 5 stars for taste and texture! Yay!

Yield: 1 sheet of bark

What You Need
2 sticks of unsalted butter
1 cup light brown sugar (I used dark and it worked fine!)
1 pound bag of mini pretzels (my grocery store only had sticks which worked just as well but required more effort placing them neatly on the tray)
12 ounce bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
sea salt, for sprinkling on top

What You Need to Do
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside.

Melt 2 sticks of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. While the butter is melting, place enough pretzels on the prepared baking sheet to form a single, even layer.

Once the butter has melted, add the brown sugar and stir well to incorporate. Allow the brown sugar and butter to simmer and bubble, but do not let it boil. You may need to adjust the temperature to low. Stir the butter-sugar mixture occasionally. It should take about 3 minutes for the butter and sugar to caramelize, but keep a close eye on it because it will burn quickly.

When the sugar and butter have caramelized, pour the mixture evenly over the pretzels, strafing it back and forth down the length of the sheet. The caramel hardens quickly so it’s important to pour it as evenly and quickly as possible. If there are any clumps, use an offset spatula to spread the caramel as best you can. Bake for 5-7 minutes.

Use a microwave safe bowl to make the chocolate layer. Microwave chocolate chips in intervals of 30 seconds, stirring after each interval, until smooth. The chocolate should melt in only a couple of minutes. (I used my stovetop and stirred every 10 seconds. Once the chips were ALMOST fully melted, I took the pot off the heat and let them melt themselves the rest of the way. This prevents them from burning.)

By this time the pretzel-caramel mixture should be out of the oven. Pour the chocolate over the pretzel-caramel mixture, strafing it down the length of the baking sheet just as you did for with the caramel layer. Again, move evenly and quickly. Use an offset spatula to smooth out any clumps or thick spots. Sprinkle sea salt evenly over chocolate before it starts to harden. Allow the baking sheet to harden in the fridge for at least 1 hour.

When the bark has cooled and hardened, remove from the fridge and carefully pull the aluminum foil off the back. Break the bark into pieces and serve. Best stored in the refrigerator.

Tags:

16 Responses

1. Kristen
    November 28, 2011 9:10 pm #

The bark looks so good! I going to make this and send to family for Christmas

• Rebecca the Cherry Picker
      November 28, 2011 9:13 pm #

Thanks Kristen! They are so easy to make! My family polished them off in a day! I’d love to know how yours turn out!

2. November 29, 2011 8:56 pm #

these look too good.

• Rebecca the Cherry Picker
      November 29, 2011 9:11 pm #

Thanks Andrea :) They are so easy to make and they really are delicious!

3. Nicola
    November 30, 2011 6:45 pm #

Hi, looks delicious, but what weight is 2 sticks butter equivalent to?

• Rebecca the Cherry Picker
      November 30, 2011 7:51 pm #

Thanks Nicola! 2 sticks of butter is equivalent to 1 cup. Does that help? If not, check out this link, which will convert the sticks into whatever measurement you like: http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_butter.htm

4. Leah
    December 10, 2011 10:38 pm #

Hey these look great! Do you know how long they will keep?

• Rebecca the Cherry Picker
      December 10, 2011 10:50 pm #

Hi Leah! Thanks! I can’t say for sure how long it would stay because mine got eaten up pretty fast. However, I’d recommend that you store it in the fridge which will definitely keep them better longer. I want to say maybe 2 weeks?? It’s a guess though!

5. December 11, 2011 6:51 am #

Amazing! They looked and sounded to good to not try to make them! I made them last night for my hubby to take to his work as a secret santa gift! These things are so delish! thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Joy

• Rebecca the Cherry Picker
      December 11, 2011 3:44 pm #

That’s so great to hear Joy!! What a wonderful idea for a secret santa gift. It’s always the best when gifts are homemade!

6. jill
    December 11, 2011 3:01 pm #

I love the taste but mine turned out chewy. Does anyone know how to make them more like a peanut brittle on the bottom layer? In the picture they don’t look chewy.

• Rebecca the Cherry Picker
      December 11, 2011 3:43 pm #

Hi Jill – sorry to hear it didn’t work out perfectly for you. They should definitely be brittle-like. My only guess is that perhaps you didn’t let the butter and sugar caramelize long enough? It is really important that it starts to bubble, and remains that way for a few minutes… if you do that, it should get quite hard. So much so, that you actually have to pour it fast before it hardens right to the pot! If you want to try again, let me know. You can contact me via email on the contact information page on my blog and I can help you as best I can. Sorry!

7. Tanisha Dawkins
    January 26, 2012 12:20 am #

Made these tonight and they are awesome!! I wish I would’ve added a touch more salt to the top, but that’s my fault. Will definitely make these again!

• Rebecca the Cherry Picker
      January 26, 2012 3:58 am #

I’m so happy!!!! Thanks for letting me know, and I love salt so I totally hear ya on that one!

8. imogenclarke
    January 27, 2012 7:11 pm #

Thanks for the recipe ;) and yeah the salt totally works well with it :D

• Rebecca the Cherry Picker
      January 27, 2012 7:43 pm #

Great!! Thanks for letting me know :)