This sticky french toast is unbelievable. Soft and chewy, covered in caramel, and with a crispy top! I made this dish the night before and baked it in the morning, just in time for my group of 8 guests for brunch, and let me tell you … it was a crowd pleaser. This recipe comes from the Bite Me Cookbook and if you don’t have this book go out immediately and purchase it. It’s so creative and delicious and fun to read!
What You Need
For the Candied Rice Krispies:
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons water
4 cups Rice Krispies
2 loaves of challah with crusts and cubed (approximately 14 cups)
1 8 oz package cream cheese at room temperature
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
What You Need to Do
1. For the candied Rice Krispies, in a large pot (that is both deep and has a wide bottom), bring the sugar and water to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 1 minute without stirring. Gently stir in Rice Krispies and continue to cook over medium heat, just until they are golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately pour Rice Krispies onto a baking sheet to cool. Once cooled, they can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
2. For the French toast, coat a 13×9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place cubed bread evenly throughout the dish.
3. Place the cream cheese in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese at medium speed until smooth. Add one egg at a time, mixing well after each addition and making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Whisk in milk, half-and-half, maple syrup, and vanilla until incorporated and smooth. Pour over bread cubes to moisten evenly, pressing lightly to submerge the bread. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours.
4. Once ready to bake, remove baking dish from refrigerator and preheat oven to 350 degrees (This step is super important if you are using a glass dish because you need some time to get the dish to room temperature before sticking in the oven or the glass might shatter due to the sudden shift from extreme cold to extreme heat. It’s happened to me!)
5. For the caramel topping, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until well combined, about 2 minutes. Immediately pour over French toast and cover with candied Rice Krispies. Place baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until puffed and golden, about 40-45 minutes.